Another year older

My birthday comes on the tail end of the holiday celebrations. Although I do love that my day is 1/2, I don't usually feel up to much hoopla (and frankly, neither does anyone else). I should have just changed my birthday a long time ago to June or something. Oh well.

Someday, I'll plan a big trip or party, but this year it was pretty low key.

After a few handfuls of Cracklin' Oat Bran (how amazing is that stuff?) and some Oregon Chai, I took the pup for a walk in the 25 degree temps.

I also opened up my one wrap gift I had saved from my brother's girlfriend. I love pretty packages.

And cute notecards I can use. Do you still send hand written notes? I still enjoy it and occasionally write friends I don't see often or my grandma during the summer when she's at their cabin.

The manfriend offered to make breakfast. We had scrambled eggs and toast. I had plans to meet Michelle (a friend from college, a cyclist and a semi-newbie to running) for a long run so a good breakfast was in order.

By the time we met at 10am, it was a balmy 28 degrees. Michelle is training for the Hagg Lake 25K trail race, which is said to be muddy and hilly.

My legs were a bit sore, but I hoped to survive 8 or 9 miles of her 11 mile run. We did about 5 miles of trail and flats before heading up the hills to seriously kick our asses. If the distance alone wasn't enough (probably my longest run since the marathon in October), the hills nearly killed me. Every time I run hills, and especially when I haven't run them often, I'm humbled by their power and my weakness.

Alas, we finished our run while she finished up her last few miles and I headed back to my car. 10 miles under my belt on my birthday in 1h 28 min (8:49 pace). A little sore, but not bad considering.

I also realized this rounded out my week of running to 30 miles, a high mileage week these days. Alas, that also means there wasn't much cross training, but I'll get back to that soon enough. Foam rolling and stretching was a must.

I refueled with a green smoothie and an umbrella for festiveness.

The manfriend and I ran some errands together and then came back to the couch where I enjoyed some Oakshire Espresso Stout

We made dinner at home and then went to TCBY for a little dessert and brought it home to watch The Game. Freaky movie! Has anyone else seen it? I kept saying "I don't like this!" but then didn't really want to turn it off.

As you can see, the most important part of the day was food and exercise. Would you expect anything less? I have a feeling 28's going to be a great year because I'm intent on making it so.

Comments

Amber said…
Happy Birthday!

As long as YOU had a great birthday that's all that matters!!
siri said…
Oregon Chai, green smoothie, and a pint of stout?! You're getting wild at your old age! ;)

Happy Birthday, Lauren! Love you!
Gracie said…
Happy birthday - cracklin oats are the best!
Oh how I miss cracklin' Oat Bran. It's of course not gluten free. My heart sort of aches for it!! Mmmm...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Good for you for getting a nice, long run in. And yes, hills really do humble a person, don't they?

You have such a great attitude about the upcoming year. Attitude is so important. I am willing this year to be a good one, too.
Happy (late) birthday!! I think that day sounds perfect :) 10 miles has been a stopping point for me since October, too. And 30 mpw? Yah, haven't seen that in a while...Yoga took over my life, ha.

28 will be awesome for you, make it that way!
Aron said…
Happy belated birthday!!! January is my birthday month too :)
Run Jess Run said…
Happy Birthday!! 28 isn't so bad:)
Anonymous said…
Birthday AND anniversary so close together?! How exciting! Happy 28th!

Popular Posts