Just Bust a Move

Tonight's workout was a focused one. I left work shortly after 5 to jet over to the gym. With a wine tasting date with friends at 7:30, I wanted to get a serious workout in, go home, shower, eat and drive to the wine bar in a short amount of time.

Whew! With a little focus and some planning, I got my sweat on even though I was missing Lifeforce Fit.

The workout:

Treadmill - 16 min, 1.6 miles run
Weight lifting - 30 min
Spinning - 15 min
Treadmill - 11 min, 1 mile run

Weight lifting routine:
-tricep kickback (3 sets, 15 reps)
-bent over rows
-weighted squats (12lbs, 12lbs, 15 lbs)
-obliques w/ weights (24 lbs, 12lbs)
-decline ab crunch (2 sets)
-push ups
-assisted pull ups and dips (2 sets each, 55lbs assist)
-hamstring curl (12 reps: 50lbs, 55lbs)
-side plank (2 sets, both sides)

Tonight, I noticed that with a short amount of time and the goal of getting an equally tough workout as Lifeforce Fit, I was really forced to push it. My heart rate stayed elevated during the weights and I felt my muscles working.

In just 75 minutes, I had sweat a ton, checked off both cardio and weights and had time to freshen up! For some reason, I can easily stay at the gym forever. 90 minutes just flies by for me.

Okay, chugging water now. Time for sleep. The wine was just too good tonight. I don't think I'll be making it to that 6:30 am hot yoga class.

Do you lift weights? In case you missed it, Emily from the Front Burner wrote an awesome post about the weight room and how important weight lifting is to your fitness. Just bust a move!

Comments

Gracie said…
Need to quit running races and get back in the gym ;/ I'm getting weak!
I don't lift weights as much as I should... I am sort of intimidated by them. I did some personal trainer sessions years ago and became friends w/ my trainer and he's offered to do a refresher for me so I should take him up on that after the New Year as I know I really need to add strength training...
Amber said…
I've been SO BAD about lifting weights lately! There was a time when I was REALLY into it but since I started running I have totally fallen out of it. I kind of use hot yoga as my strength training but I know that I could benefit from ACTUAL weight lifting. A new years resolution perhaps?
Amber, I definitely consider yoga as strength training at times although I know it's not quite as hard on my muscles as a serious weight session.

Something is always better than nothing! If I don't have time to hit the gym, occasionally I'll just spend 15-20 min in my living room doing weights with my dumb bells.
Raquelita said…
I have been trying to integrate weights back into my training schedule. I'm out of town right now and that makes it tricky, but I'm hoping to lift twice a week during the new year.

This workout looks seriously excellent!

Popular Posts