My longest run since the marathon

Wowzers! It's been nearly a month since the Portland Marathon and the running has been limited. First it was a little rest and then it was that bad cold. Today, I headed out for a 5 miler thinking I might add on a few miles.

I ran with a friend for the first few miles and then we split off. Around mile 3, that french toast and eggs I'd consumed a little over and hour before was sitting like a rock in my stomach and letting me know.

I was determined to push it today, so I added on an extra 1.5 mi loop when this stomach pain began. I managed to finish 6.5 miles (and my longest run to date since the marathon) without hurling and walking for only 1 minute!

As you can imagine, I've been getting a bit antsy with my race plans (as in, I have nothing planned which makes me nervous). There aren't a lot of halfs to choose from around here this winter so I'll probably do one in January that I've done before. It's always cold and foggy, but I guess that's winter for ya!

It was so fun watching the NYC Marathon coverage today on tv and tracking people I knew (and some celebs: Meredith Vieira, Al Roker and the Chilean miner - Edison Pena). Did anyone else watch? It made me super excited to run NYC someday. I love that it takes you through five different boroughs of NY: Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Manhattan.

Now I've got this Chili Verde and cornbread on the stove/in the oven. There's nothin' like a cozy, warm meal for a cool fall evening and a little movie watching! And this is another first for me...first time making cornbread from scratch! Usually I make them with a Jiffy or Marie Calendar box.

What one city would you love to visit? What race are you dreaming of completing some day?

I love NY and San Fran, but as far as cities I've never been to, it would be Washington DC (for the history), Santa Fe (i've heard it's cool) and Austin (great music city). My dream races are all listed on my racing page, but Boston is the #1 for me (and a ton of other runners out there).

Okay, dinner and movie time!

Comments

Karen Evans said…
I'm just getting back into running. I used to do 5k and 10k races in high school, but forgot about running in college. Now in my 2nd year out of college, I'm trying to get back into running. I live in Chicago so there are constantly races. I'd love to do a 5k soon and work my way up to a half marathon within the year.
Amber said…
Nice job! I can't wait to get out there running again, I miss it a lot!

Cornbread from scratch is SO YUMMY! I think I will be making cornbread + chilly next weekend!
Santa Fe is cool! But, I would not want to run a race there. I ran on a treadmill there...and it is high desert. Yikes.
Hm, never thought about a race in Santa Fe! Did one in Albuquerue with my sis last Fall and wasn't too impressed but the weather was Perfect. DC - go for it!! Those races have great crowd support and it's so fun to run through that city (I'm a little biased..obviously ;) ). My dream races are Marine Corps & the Rome Marathon...

p.s. got in my longest run since the mara yesterday, too. Must've been something in the air ;) Go us!
Emily said…
Definitely come to DC!

After watching the coverage yesterday I majorly want to run NYC.
I have been craving cornbread + chili lately... I need to look around some GF sites for a recipe. The GF mixed are so dang expensive, I am hoping there is a made-from-scratch recipe out there that isn't too intimidating...

Top of my list in the US is DC. If all goes as planned, I will be there in April. I am goign to try to do the Cherry Blossoms 10 mile run but there is a lottery to get in so we'll see!

Internationally, I really want to see the Amalfi Coast. :)
Love hearing all your city thoughts. I was thinking about cities separate to the racing factor, but yes I suppose racing in the dessert would be mighty toasty!
er...desert. Clearly, I was thinking about cinnamon rolls rather than Santa Fe, NM. ;)

Popular Posts