Back in the game!

Whew! I think my stomach is still burning right through everything I ate after tonight's SPEED workout. But it feels good to be back on the speed training wagon. Know what I mean?

It doesn't actually "feel good" while you're doing it, but once it's done, you know you'll be better and faster for it.

Tonight's workout:
*in 86 deg temps that showed up out of nowhere

-1 mi warm up
- strides/form drills
- 4 x 1,000 meters (alternating 200m @ mile pace, 200m @ tempo/half mar pace)
-3 min hard, 2 min easy, 2 min hard, 1 min easy
- 1 mi cool down

Commence sweatage.

I was aiming for 53 second 200m for mile pace (~7 min mile) and 63 second 200 m for tempo pace (~8:30 min mile). Per the usual, sometimes I was right on, but mostly I was too fast. It's hard to judge when you're doing those short distances and used to running only in increments of 5, 10, 15 miles. All the same, it was great to get the legs really moving again.

Afterward, I raced to grab some food, change clothes and meet the manfriend and a few friends at the last local minor league baseball game of the season. It was a fun night and got me ready for football season!

Okay, time to do a little stretchy stretch and foam rolling before bed. Guess what tomorrow is?! FRIDAY! Anyone incorporating speed training in a fun way? On Monday I simply threw in some fartleks to my regular run with the group and it was a great way to keep my mind and body on its toes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Speedwork Never "feels good" but the after-high is what keeps us coming back ;)

Football season cannot come fast enough! SO excited to watch the games tomorrow!
Oscar Yeager said…
Hi, I haven't been here in awhile. Just checking out the new pictures and seeing what was up in Sassy Molassy's world lately. ^_^
Raquelita said…
Good luck at your race tomorrow! I'm sure the speed work will pay off!
I have not done much speed training during this training cycle... I try to do some intervals during my runs during the week, but that's about it!

Well done on the work out - esp in those hot temps. Iknow what you mean about it not feeling good during the actual work out, but feeling good afterwards!

Popular Posts