Tips for a Better Long Run

Today's long run proved to be difficult at times. But then again, what long run isn't difficult, mentally and physically? When I started to have those "maybe I should stop and walk for a minute" thoughts, I pulled out some knowledge that made the miles a little easier. So, I thought I'd share.

1. Think light on your feet. In other words, think about your feet lifting off the ground and less about landing. Naturally, you'll notice yourself coming down more on the mid to fore foot rather than pounding down on your heels. You may also notice each step seems to be a bit faster because you're spending a little less time on the ground.

2. Think TALL. Think of being pulled up from the top of your head with a string. That bad running posture should disappear.

3. Be aware of your arms. It's easy to just Your arms should swing forward to back parallel to each other and swinging right along your sides. And be sure to keep your hands loose (no tight fists). When I'm tired for example, my left arm starts swinging across my body, which doesn't do much good for my intended forward movement.

4. Use incentives to keep positive. I tell myself "Okay, you have 5 more minutes and then you get a sip of water/gatorade!" I take a sip every 15 min generally.

Most of these come straight from the pro's who have trained my SPEED group. After hearing the reminders again and again, it's nice to put them into action and notice a difference. Do you have any tips to share that help you keep your form and positive thinking in tact?

I finished 15.75 miles (thanks to mapmyrun.com) in 2:20. I couldn't find the Garmin before I left the house so I just based my run on time. Turns out, it worked pretty well!

Comments

Gracie said…
Thank you for the tips - SO needed right now; I feel like my long runs are a challenge lately and they used to be kind of easy (easier than sprints anyway!).
Run Jess Run said…
Thanks for the tips!!
Anonymous said…
This is so timely! I had almost the exact same tips from D - and used them constantly throughout my run on Saturday. Mostly the arms' posture, I tend to bunch up my shoulders and gradually hold my arms closer and closer to the chest - I constantly reminded myself to "relax" and let them hang at ~90*, where it's comfortable :)
I pretty much use the same approach to getting through those long runs. Esp the 'you can have a drink of gatorade in x minutes' approach.

Since I took that running form class, I have thought way more about form - esp my arms and being 'light on my feet'. I think it's really helping1

Well done on the long run!!

Popular Posts