Grocery Store Savings

We went to the grocery store last night for the second time this week. Because it's nearing the end of the month and money is getting tight, we hit up WinCo where you always leave with more than you could have anywhere else for the same price. It's actually jaw dropping every time we go.

For example, locally made Tillamook (Oregon) sliced cheese is just $2.48 at WinCo when it would be either $4.99-$5.99 anywhere else. Basically, WinCo cuts out the middle man so everything sits in the big brown shipping boxes they came in, but opened of course). As you shop, it's common to see a forklift come in and rearrange or add new stock to one of the entryway aisles where they simple drop pallets of product next to each other.

Last night I snagged an extra can of green beans and corn just because they were $.48 vs $.99 anywhere else. I will say, the one thing I tend not to buy there is much produce. Bagged spinach is fine, but I usually wait until I can get some organic produce to snag other fruits and veggies. Additionally, I don't buy meat here because again there aren't any organic types available. But for boxed items and even milk, yogurt, cereal, eggs, cheese, etc. it's a freakin' bargin.

Do you have a grocery store like this? Do you go there often? Our WinCo is only about 2 miles away, but we often hit up the Fred Meyer which is about a mile closer and a little nicer of a shopping experience.

And for all of you humor, I thought you might enjoy seeing our cereal choices. As we were making our selections, manfriend ran into a friend of his and said "yeah, I usually pick one fun cereal and one healthier choice."

I held up his two choices and just started laughing. You decide which was his "healthier" choice because I sure can't. *My picks were the two Kashi brand cereals.*

Not gonna lie, my grocery trips aren't always health laden. We did swing by the ice cream aisle so I could pick up a little Chocolate Brownie Thunder!

This puppy was under $3 and would have been $5 at any other grocery store. And the taste is just as awesome its the name.

On the grocery topic, manfriend and I are thinking of challenging ourselves for one month to only spend $XX per week. We haven't chosen an amount yet, but I think it would be good for us just to try. I hate going back to the store midweek for just a few things and walking out with another $50 bill. Details to come. Do you have a budget for your weekly or monthly food spending?

Comments

With the changes to my income recently, I have put myself on a major budget. I try to spend only $30/week on groceries & Target stuff. I have done so so... $30 might just be a bit tight for me. Maybe when produce prices come down this summer, I can make it work... we'll see.

We don't have any stores in the area similar to what you described - at least none that I know of. I am going to check out Aldi as my SIL always finds the best stuff there for ridiculously cheap.

I def laughed at the man friend's cereal selection. :) Too funny!
Anonymous said…
Grocery challenge - do it!! You'll probably be amazed at what you spend on things you don't "need", even if you do a lot of planning ahead of time. It's definitely fun to see what kind of swaps you can come up with :)

That Brownie Thunder business? Sounds DELICIOUS. Oh, and I'm guessing his "healthy" is the Frosted Mini Wheats (...um, used to have a small obsessesion with those things). because, they have Fiber? heh
Amber said…
This summer I'm going to try and hit up the farmers market every week to save money! I need to tighten up my grocery budget big time this summer! Sigh
Anonymous said…
I miss the Winco that I used to shop at. We don't have anything like that near us anymore.

I love the idea of a grocery challenge. I force myself to only go once a week - but I could probably benefit from limiting how much I can spend.
Run Jess Run said…
We usually map out a menu for the week and fill our grocery list with ingredients for said menu and then any other essentials we need.
Anonymous said…
HAHAHA your manfriend's cereal choices crack me up. My boyfriend does the SAME THING. He has "fruit rings" and "cocoa crunchies" in the cabinet right now.

Like, honestly? EW. (And yes, he's tried to convince me that the 5 flavors of fruit rings count as his 5 daily servings of fruit. He's wrong.)

At least he eats them for dessert and not real breakfast, though. It could be worse, I suppose.

Popular Posts