All outta flour!

Happy Easter! This weekend was a truly relaxing one, surprisingly enough. Even with a few hours of driving, a duathalon and Easter in the mix it was one of the better ones I've had. Race recap to come on Tuesday!

As I mentioned before, manfriend and I decided to skip my family Easter brunch and church service to have our own little brunch for two. We made our way to breakfast around 9:30am where we both chose eggs benedict, mine with smoked salmon and spinach added. OJ for me, coffee for him. No pics unfortunately. Once we rolled ourselves out of there, we were both in food coma...so good, but dangerous at the same time. I am not a napper.

We got home, I took the dog for a 30 min walk and manfriend took a little doze on the couch. After some house cleaning, and lawn mowing (by the man), we headed to the grocery store for Easter dinner goods! But can we please look at a few of these wonderful mowing pics? I just loved manfriend's jean inside boot look.


I don't think he so much loved my photo taking. Perhaps the yelling "hey, stop it. give me that camera!" was supposed to be my cue. ;)

After groceries, I hopped on the trainer for a 50 min of cycling while catching up on Private Practice. Now let's get to the good stuff. On the menu was meatloaf, broccoli, salad, zinfandel from Murphy-Goode and hot cross buns.

On to the Meat Loaf!

Add the spice to the garlic croutons...

Chop the red pepper, onion, carrot and garlic (I don't have a food processor so I have to chop them extra fine)...

Next, find pac man...

Add locally grown organic beef, 1 egg and mash it all together...

And be sure to make the "ew, this is really gross squishing meat" face...

Squish it into a loaf pan...

Then turn it all over on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and add the disgusting looking glaze (ketchup, honey, cumin, worcheschire sauce, hot sauce) after about 10 min of cooking. This puppy cooked for about 55 min and then it was time to eat! Meanwhile, I was also making some hot cross buns for dessert.

Like I said, I had to grab this Murphy-Goode at our local market's wine section because Jenna works there and I always enjoy making those blogger connections in the real world, even if it is just a bottle of WINE. The best part is that this 2007 Liar's Dice Zin was seriously good. And, I snagged it on sale for just $14 and change.

And on to the buns, 'cause I know how you like your buns...
First off, who knew hot cross buns took so much time? Geez those are some fussy buns.

I snagged this recipe from the Pioneer Woman. Needless to say, mine did not quite turn out like that and I nearly burnt them (and had to half the recipe because I was outta flour) so they were definitely one of my "adventures in baking."

Cinnamon and sugar for the middle...

Flatten the dough, sprinkle w/ cinnamon sugar and raisins and fold...

Roll 'em into balls and let 'em rise for 30+ min...

On the bright side, I discovered that while the frosting she used (egg white, powdered sugar and milk) seemed disgusting to me, that cream cheese whipped cream frosting I made for the Guinness Cupcakes worked perfectly on top of these puppies!

Feel free to look back at the Pioneer Woman's photos for the real deal. Mine are pitiful in comparison. Alas, I know you aren't the judging type so just trust me when I say these were good...not too sweet, but the just the perfect hint. I imagine these will pair well with a morning cup of tea or coffee.

Well, that's it for tonight gang. Hope everyone had a fabulous Easter and weekend 'cause it's back to the grind!

Comments

Kristin said…
I am wildly impressed that you made your own hot cross buns instead of buying them at the bakery! A hint for making the crosses, you can make your own pastry bag by putting the icing in a ziplock bag and cutting off the tip of one corner. Then you can pipe on the cross. Happy Easter, sounds like you had a good one!
Danielle said…
Tell P I dig the boots! I also am not fond of that squishy, "eww" feeling you get from handling nearly any type of raw meat/poultry/fish. But the results of your meatloaf looked fantastic! Fun posting!
Anonymous said…
you definitely can't beat a good rainboots + jeans combo! must be captured on film. ;)

your meal looks awesome!! I've never attempted hot cross buns OR meatloaf, so defnitely no judging here (not that there would be anyway) ! I applaud you for your adventure :)
Amber said…
Bahahahaha I love man-friends jeans in boot look! You guys are too cute.

Looks like a FABULOUS weekend! XO
The manfriend looks awesome in his boots!! So springy. I would have taken a picture, too!

Your meal looks awesome. I bet I could easily modify that to make it gluten free. Just would need to find some gluten free breadcrumbs or something like that.

Glad you guys had a nice Easter!

Popular Posts