A winner and positive thinking

Last night at boot camp as we were doing our final meditation after sweating a lot and doing a little yoga, the instructor said, "Now just focus for a minute on the things you have right now that make you content. It's important to remember we don't always have to be looking for something more, but we can be happy with where we are and what we have at this moment." Does anyone else struggle with this kind of thinking or am I the only one?

While boot camp is no doubt an awesome addition to my weekly routine that makes me get out of my comfort zone, physically, it also inspires me. I keep coming back for more not just because I'm noticing the physical results, but because sometimes when I can't put that positive thinking into my own head, it pays to have someone else preach it who believes it with their entire being. Each class, I find myself thinking "wow, I could really use to work on that."

It's definitely a balancing act, this whole real world thing with a full time job, friends, relationships, traveling, exercise, etc. Sometimes it's difficult to say "oh yeah, that would be nice, but it doesn't have to be done RIGHT NOW." I don't need the perfect job, city, wardrobe or home right now because I've got all I need and more. And what's the fun in perfection anyway?

I'm excited to read The Time Paradox recommended by my friend, T who has found this book to be extremely useful in living in the moment. And I'm currently reading Lean Forward into your Life recommended by Lisa that really focuses on living large and from the heart while giving something back to this place. I find that books like these really help me understand and explore the concerns I'm having better from an outside perspective.

And congrats to Jim McDannald who likes to put Cheerios in his yogurt! You will be getting some fabulous Oikos greek yogurt.
And because you live in my town (Jimbo), I'll hunt you down and give you the coupons. Thanks everyone for entering! I'm looking forward to doing more giveaways on the blogaroo.

Comments

Anonymous said…
this is definitely something I needed to read today! keep going to that boot-camp (seeing results? *always* a plus ;) ) and reporting inspirational thoughts! ha :)

happy thursday, sass!!
Josten said…
Hearing other people preach positive thinking to us i believe has a greater impact than ourselves. To me it's something i've never heard before and i ask this person is actually saying this to me?
Great post
Amber said…
I've went to a bootcamp last Sunday and it was such a killer workout! I will definitely be going back this Sunday, too. Can't wait!
I hope you like "Lean Forward Into Life" as much as I did! I go back & re-read certain sections I have flagged quite a bit. That books really helps keep my perception where it should be...

I totally struggle with always focusing on my next conquest. I don't enjoy the hear and now as much as I really should. I need to slow the heck down!
Pallas said…
the concept of "Positive thinking" was introduced to me by the book The Secret...at first I didn't believe that whatever the mind expects, it finds...if not for the depression I experienced some 2 yrs back, I wouldn't realize how REAL "positive thinking" is! As I look back on my worst times, I wonder why was I so upset at that time cos now everything seems so trivial....
I couldn't thank the book enough for making a BIG difference in my life!

Dream. Believe. Survive.

Popular Posts