On being domestic (and running)

I did a very adult thing yesterday. I put an entire couch on my credit card. A COUCH! Manfriend and I had been looking at them for a few months now and finally decided it was time. After all, he wants to get his house ready to sell in the next six months or so (we'll see...) and we can't have that dump of a college couch showing off the living room. No siree! I would show you what it looks like, but I'm afraid you might cringe and shame me for sitting on this thing every night.

I'm excited to show you the new beauty (with the fun pillows we picked out) when it arrives in six weeks. The couches are made in North Carolina and then shipped out. Can't wait! Maybe now I'll actually want to take a nap on the couch. The only trouble will be keeping that dog from thinking it's her new fancy dog bed! Any tips??

It's funny, after spending a chunk of change on that Europe trip last May and then a wee little road bike purchase, things like a couch seem normal. Although, to the wallet they seem a bit heavy. Not gonna lie, my heart was still beating decently when we walked out of the furniture store. Let's just say the credit card is going to be used sparingly for a few months. :) What's the biggest purchase you've made? Did it make you nervous?

In training news: I completed a rainy 9 miler on Sunday with about 8 min of decent climbing in the middle with just me and the ipod. Next Saturday is the Shotgun Creek Trail Blast 25k Run! It's going to be a hilly one. My running partner K found this blog post from the girl who won the thing last year and called it "The Race You Wish You Never Signed Up For." So basically, you need to start praying for us...now. And the following weekend I'll be headed for my first duathalon. Don't ask why I signed up for two different "firsts" on back to back weekends, but I guess it makes life exciting, eh?

Comments

Anonymous said…
ha! wow, um, defintely not a promising Alias for the race...but those legs of yours are strong! ;) you'll push it out!

we've been toying with the idea of a new couch too - ugh, super expensive! and hard to find one you Really like (considering the "chunk of change" you'll be spending for it...) - can't wait to see the pics ;)
Amber said…
As much as I'm looking forward to Europe and know it will be worth every last penny it's REALLY hard to spend that chunk of money all at once. I mean, we've been saving for FOUR YEARS for this. FOUR YEARS. Seeing four years of savings be spent, even though it's on something we both really want, is really bittersweet.

I just got a new couch too! Only it was ridiculously cheap because it's tiny! Only $130 but it goes awesome in my teeny tiny suite!!

One of the biggest purchases Eric and I have made together is the big screen TV! That was on a payment plan though so we put a good chunk down on it and then spent 12 months paying it off.
Ha - love that she referenced it as the race you wish you never signed up for. That's awesome. I am sure you & your friend will do great, but I will say a prayer for you! Hilly courses are so tough!!

The biggest purchase I made on my cc was also furniture. I had just moved into my own apt and all I had was a folding chair to sit on. So I bought a couch and love seat. I also remember my heart racing a bit when I signed the credit card slip...

But that was 6 years ago, and I still have the couch/love seat - obviously. So it was an investment, really...

Popular Posts