It's Official...

I signed up for my first duathalon yesterday! There's nothing like signing up for your first anything to get you excited and motivated to get training, that's for sure. Like this coming 25k trail race at the end of the month...if I don't train well, I will no doubt, be walking a decent portion.

I'm not going insane on training, but I am increasing the mileage on my weekend long run and incorporating some trails so I'm slightly prepared. Alas, I know this thing is going to kick my ass.

Now back to this duathalon. My friend J asked if I was interested in joining her and since I have a bike and all now, I figured why not? Plus, it's one easy step toward the whole tri world. We'll see what happens.

I'm really excited for the Spring Classic because it consists of a 5k run, 15 mi bike, and another 5k run! It doesn't sound too hard, other than that whole second 5k at the end. ;) It's the first weekend in April so I'll be doing back to back racing weekends, which hopefully won't bite me in the butt since the trail race and duathalon are fairly different.

In attempting to do some brick work today, I went out on a sunny, but chilly 40 mile ride with a local group. Then, feet still numb from the ride, shoved on the running shoes and went out for a 12 min jog. It wasn't at all like what I'll be doing for the duathalon, but I figure it can't hurt. The legs were definitely not feeling the whole running thing, but I did it and that's what really counts!

Want more info on brick workouts?
"A perfect time to incorporate a brick run is immediately after this long aerobic ride. Throw on those running shoes and go out for a quick brick run. You should run for 10-20 minutes at an easy to moderate pace for these brick runs. The goal of these workouts is to get the feeling of running on fatigued legs. You may notice that the first 5-10 minutes of running is the hardest. As you keep going, your leg muscles relax a little bit, and you’ll start running with a normal running stride by the end of the first mile." -XTerra Training

Tomorrow's goal is to get in a 12-13 mile run with some hills. Meanwhile, the manfriend and some of his other beastly friends are heading out for a 90+ mile ride. Insane, right? I would die. Or at least need to call a taxi.

P.S. Did you know Absolut(ly) Fit Laura is back to blogging? I didn't know until last night when I randomly clicked on her link off my blogroll. So excited to see her back! And, she's about to hit her goal of becoming the youngest maniac to run a marathon in all 50 states!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice!! Those distances don't sound *too* bad (heh, not that I bike ride AT ALL, so who knows...) and I think you'll do great! Hope the LR went well today with the hills ;)
Amber said…
Very cool, I'm excited for you!

PS: I finally actually SIGNED UP/REGISTERED for Portland. Eeeeei so freaking excited!

Also, I'm excited to hear about your 25k trail race because I'm seriously considering doing one at the end of June!
I survived the LR and Amber, I'm excited you signed up...especially since the price increases shortly.
Hey girl!

1. Congrats on signing up for your race - that is AWESOME!

2. I keep forgetting to tell you - you won the chia seed giveaway on my blog! If you want to email me your mailing address (iowagirleats@hotmail.com) I'll have them send you your package!
Unknown said…
I've never heard of Brick Runs before they sound pretty intense. What is a trail race?
90+ miles?????? Wow. Man friend is amazing.

Congrats on registering of a Duathlon! I am sure you will rock at it!

I actually biked today at the gym - but only for about 5 miles. But it's a start and a move in the right direction of diversifying my workouts!

Popular Posts