a little speed never hurt anyone

Last night after posting my crazy girls weekend photos to our group Shutterfly account (great way to share pics), I raced off to catch the runners for a little SPEED workout. After Wednesday's bootcamp (and a really difficult one at that-i was POURING sweat the entire time), these legs were a bit sore and I just wasn't feeling that cold weather. But like I've said before, showing up is the most important part.

Once I got there, I headed out for a little warm up mile and a few strides. Then we were off. Workout: 2 miles @ 1/2 marathon pace (a little faster than tempo), 2 min active rest, 2 miles @ 1/2 marathon pace, 1 mile cool down. There's always a short and long option offered by our coach and I typically attempt the long. After all, if you don't make the whole thing...no sweat. But most of the time I stick with it.

As usual, my brain said "that second 2 miler is not happening." But after the legs finished the first two miles, I knew I could crank out one more round. I didn't wear a watch (because a. I couldn't find it and b. I'm not addicted to my times), but believe I heard coach yell a 7:36 mile at one point and probably somewhere around 7:45 for the last mile.

The point is, I don't care if I'm on pace (I was going too fast for my typical 1/2 marathon speed anyway), but I knew I was pushing myself harder than if I were to just head off on a four mile run on my own. Needless to say, the short little 15 min jaunt with the dog this morning reminded me how hard I was pushing it. And who doesn't love to feel the burn?

This weekend I've got on the want to do list:

- date with manfriend (dinner and bowling/movie)
- moving dresser and nightstand from old place
- boot camp workout
- meal planning for next week or two
- run and coffee w/ runners
- push ups
- Dave Farmar yoga podcast

What's on your list, lovelies?

Comments

Anonymous said…
speedy 2 milers!! You're definitely right - showing up is half the battle, all downhill from there :) thats why I heart those group runs!

On my agenda: relaxing weekend with the bf, cooking, staying IN, oh and uhh...running 18 miles? oof! haha ;) have a good wkend!!!
Amber said…
Yes, LOVE speed workouts. They leave my lungs and legs burning SO GOOD.

This weekend I NEED to play catch-up with schoolwork and readings. I'm slowly falling behind! I'm also going to Bikram yoga tomorrow (for the 2nd time ever) and doing a longish run of 9-miles on Sunday.

Have a fab weekend, love! XO
I really need to find a local running group. I know it would push me to improve my speed and switch things up. I am paranoid that I am going to be the slowest runner or that no one will like me!

My to do list for the weekend is finishing my giveaway scarf, and maybe the hat, too. Other than that, I need to work on some future posts and probably clean/iron. We'll see how much of the cleaning/ironing I get to!

Have a fantastic weekend!!
Lisa-Trust me, I know your feeling. The idea of being the slowest one in the group is scary. And sometimes I am (we have a lot of speedsters in the group). But over time, it's gotten better and I'm friends with everyone so there's always someone genuinely cheering you on. Plus, I just say to myself "oh well, i'm the slowest. I'm burning calories and getting faster by doing this stuff!"

Popular Posts