Red Lights

The last few days I have been running red lights, a lot of them. I usually pack so many things into my schedule that I don't leave time to actually transition from one thing to the next. Well, lately it's been pretty bad (hence the whole running red lights thing).

Yesterday, I realized as I peeled into the 5th St Market parking lot and bumped and older (mid 80s) gray car as I was trying to park that I was simply out of control. I mean really, was that necessary just to try to make it to run club on time? No. Luckily, I didn't leave any damage.

So, I tried to evaluate why I was feeling so out of control and frankly I'm not sure. Am I stressed? Yes, work is a little overwhelming right now and I can't seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But in the scheme of things I think my life has been a lot more crazy and I have managed it better.

I think the good thing that has come out of this is that I realized this morning that I am very lucky to be physically and mentally in good shape and alive at all, especially after driving so offensively the past week. I am going to make the effort every day to honor this life and the opportunities I have been given because really, life isn't all that bad. Eugene is a great community, I love running with great people here, working at the University isn't half bad, and the weather's pretty darn great. Granted, I wouldn't mind having a few more friends my age and a posse to go out with on a random Thurs or Sat night, but other than that I really can't complain.

Perhaps I should enroll in that yoga class I've been wanting to take for so long. But in the mean time, I need to do laundry, go running, start and finish a wedding scrapbook for Jessica, and get ready for the long haul to Pendleton for four days of wedding madness. Yeah, that yoga class is going to be put on hold for a while longer.

Comments

KGreg said…
Thanks for the comment. I agree - having Teresa in common, I'm sure we'd get along perfectly. Working at a university, too, I agree that 1) work really shouldn't begin at 8am and 2) even though we're not ending world hunger it can still be a very overwhelming, no-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel job. I'm glad to hear you're planning on slowing down a bit. :)

Popular Posts